Thursday, January 5, 2012
Winning Grant Proposals
From my perspective, here are a few quick tips. Please feel free to respond with additional tips that you have found helpful and are willing to share!
• Ensure that the goals of the project are realistic and that those involved as well as the leadership agree on the use of the grant dollars should they be awarded.
• Ensure that the goals of the project align with the project budget.
• Do not change your programming to match the interests of the funder
• Ensure that your partners are truly engaged and not merely a “name” listed as a partner
• Ensure that your project/program and organization are well managed and align with the organization’s mission.
• Ensure the project or program has other funding sources that are sustainable (a mix of sources to include individual donors, corporate donors and/or earned income.)
Some helpful resources include:
• Minnesota Council on Foundation
o Writing a Successful Grant Proposal
o Other Grant seeking resources
• Minnesota Council on Nonprofits
o Resources for Foundation grant seekers
o Resources for Government Funding grant seekers
• The Grantsmanship Center
o Newsletters with articles & tips related to grantwriting
o Grantwriting seminars and training
Kathy Grochow, NRS, St. Cloud