Monday, September 28, 2009

Winning Blog Contest Entry #2

Here is the second winning entry from our Blog FUNdraising contest!

Relay-for-Life Stars Program - Tatanka Arts (Redwood Falls, MN)
We did our first, annual "Relay-for-Life Stars Program" February 2009. We had a blast and raised more than $6,600 with one sold-out performance attended by more than 500 people!

Working with last year's eight couples - which actually was a "blind leading the blind" experience for me - was so rewarding that I have since written a grant to Southwest Minnesota Arts & Humanities Council (SMAHC) to help fund some ballroom dance training for me at the Minneapolis Arthur Murray Dance Studio this summer. I've taken four classes with two more to come yet this month and another three in September. I'll know a little more about basic ballroom when I start working with new couples later this fall - thank goodness! I am a strong advocate for "serious FUN"...bringing people together to work and play.

We did not take the actual dancing seriously (you should see the DVD), but did take the "cause" seriously enough to put on a FUN stage show with costumes, set-design, great emcees and a lot of "free-form" dance! We will use the $100 donation to Tatanka Arts in memory of one of our board members, Ruth McKinney, who died of cancer recently.

No comments: