Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Week

It’s the week of Thanksgiving so I’m thinking of gratefulness and thankfulness. One of the things that comes to mind is last week’s successful campaign through GiveMN.org. In one day 38,778 donors raised over $14 million helping 3,434 nonprofits in the state! Today I see that Land O Lakes and Kare 11 are donating $1 to alleviate hunger for every click on their website. Check this out at www.landolakesinc.com.

Then I remembered a session I attended at the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits - Minnesota Council on Foundations Conference earlier this month that also gave me cause to think about giving and being grateful for what I have. Rachel McDonough, a financial planner, told us that the average income in the U.S. is $50,000, and that puts us in the top 1% of income in the WORLD. The average American family is wealthy in comparison to people in many Third World countries. She asked the question "how much is enough?" As I thought about that question and my own life, it made me consider how much more I could give.

Right now, nonprofits need our help – not to help themselves but to help those they serve. So you might ask yourself the same question, "how much is enough for me?"

I am thankful to live in state and a country where people and businesses are generous in giving, both their money and their time. If you would like to check out national stats on volunteerism and giving, go to Independent Sector for more information.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by Holly Witt
NRS, Alexandria Charter

No comments: