Saturday, November 12, 2011
Organizations (people) must have a process in place when handling conflict, so everyone is on the same page and knows what the steps are. Employees maybe confused about who should they talk with and what should they do next. Confusion creates “we” against “them” scenarios.
Some thoughts to consider when in a conflict situation is:
• What would you like for the outcome of this?
• What is your agenda for your discussion with the person you’re having conflict with?
• Would you like to brainstorm/coach with someone about how the details of this meeting will flow?
• Focus on solutions and not the past.
We also explored communication skills:
1) Stay focused
2) Listen carefully
3) Try to see their point of view
4) Respond to criticism with empathy
5) Own what’s yours
6) Use “I’ messages
7) Look for compromise
8) Take a time-out and
9) Don’t give up.
Maltee McMahon, NRS, Wisconsin